viernes, junio 10, 2011

Beyond Nuclear

Fukushima Unit 3 cooling sprayer

Molten cores have melted through Fukushima reactor pressure vessels

Three months after the Fukushima nuclear catastrophe began on March 11, Tokyo Electric Power and the Japanese government have finally admitted that reactor cores in Units 1, 2, and 3 likely completely melted down and that molten nuclear fuel melted through the bottom of the thick steel reactor pressure vessels just days into the accident. Still out of control, the Fukushima units will likely continue large-scale radioactive steam releases into the environment for a year or more.

Desperate efforts continue to try to prevent multiple storage pools from boiling dry to prevent high-level radioactive waste from igniting and releasing its deadly contents directly into the winds and waves. Officials have also doubled the estimates of radioactive releases, without explanation for the earlier error.

VT Yankee cooling tower collapse


Overwhelming public interest in Beyond Nuclear's meeting with the NRC on US Mark I reactors crashes agency phone line

Beyond Nuclear staffers Paul Gunter and Kevin Kamps met with a review board of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission on June 8, 2011 to supplement its April 13th petition calling for the suspension the operation of the 23 Fukushima-style General Electric Mark I Boiling Water Reactors in the US.

Access via the NRC telephone bridge line attracted such “unprecedented” public interest that the line crashed, delaying the start of the meeting by nearly 30 minutes.

The meeting was convened at the request of Beyond Nuclear by the petition process and opened to the public by Federal law. Become a co-petitioner with Beyond Nuclear.


Please support our work by making a donation to Beyond Nuclear today.

Thank you for working with us for a nuclear-free world.


The Beyond Nuclear Team

Etiquetas: ,

0 Comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Suscribirse a Comentarios de la entrada [Atom]

<< Página Principal